This guide outlines how to Add a User and Staff record to a system with a large number of Inactive Users. Normally, improveit 360 recommends creating each Staff record first, then Activating a User. However, if you have a large number of Inactive Users, this method of adding the user first, then Editing the Staff record, may be preferable. This method alleviates the need to browse through a large number of Inactive Users, looking for a new employee to Activate.
See also video tutorial: Creating New Staff & Activating a New User
To get started, you need to be logged in as the System Administration. First, we will check to see how many User Licenses are available in your system.
1. Go to Setup and search for "Company" in the Quick Find. You should see 'Company Information', click on it.
2. The company information page stores some important info about your company, but for this tutorial, you should scroll down to the "User Licenses" section.
You need at least one remaining "Salesforce" or "Salesforce Platform" license to add a user. If you're at 0 for both, contact improveit 360 Support to order more licenses. For information on the differences between the 4 type of User Licenses, see also: User Licenses & License Types Explained.
3. Go to Setup and enter "Manage Users" in the Quick Find box. You should see 'Users', click on it.
4. You should see a User screen appear that lists many of your users. At the top of the user list, there should be a button for "New User". Click that and continue to the new user screen:
5. On the New User screen, you'll have to fill in each field that has a red line next to it, as these are required. We recommend only changing the left column shown in the photo above, as well as "Role", "User License" and "Profile" in the right column. After filling these out, do not click save yet, continue to step 6.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Most orgs enter the same email address for both the "Email" and "Username" of the user, and this is recommended but not required. The "email" specifies what email address will receive password resets and other notifications from the system. The "Username" is ONLY used for login purposes.
Extra Note: If you cannot select "Salesforce" or "Salesforce Platform" for the User License, see steps 1 and 2 again, you do not have any remaining licenses of that type.
6. Scroll down the New User page to see the following:
7. Make sure that "Do Not Automatically Make Staff" is unchecked. When unchecked, the system will create a staff record. You will want to check this box if you know a Staff record already exists.
8. Check your users time zone. Set this to whatever is accurate for them. It should default to be the same as your org, but if some of your users live/work in different time zones, you'll want to set this accordingly.
9. Make sure that "Generate new password and notify user immediately" is CHECKED. If not, the User will not be prompted to create a Password and won't be able to login. Click "Save".
10. Before navigating away, click Edit on the user's page. We want to now check the "Do Not Automatically Make Staff" checkbox, so that when this User is Edited, it will not continue to create new staff records. Once a single Staff record has been auto-created, this box should remain checked when editing this user.
11. You've made the user successfully! After Saving the Active User's record, check the Permission Set Assignments for the User. Be sure they have at least a Minimum Access Permission Set Assignment.
Now you'll need to edit the staff record created by the system. Go to the Staff tab. It might be along the top row of your org, or on the All Tabs(+) page. Search for the staff with the same name as the user you just created. There should only be one staff name for this user. If you see more than one, follow this guide: Troubleshooting - Duplicate Staff. Click on their name to open the staff record.
12. On the staff record, make the adjustments necessary, like adding Sales/Service/Project capabilities and customizing the color of their calendar entries. Then save and you're done!