Adding Products to your improveit 360 system is a valuable step to ensure your users will be able to accurately Quote jobs and so you will be able to pull accurate reports on the exact Products you are selling. Let's review how to add Products in your system. Once we review how to enter Products, the next chapter will be dedicated to adding configurations to those Products.
Add a new Product
- Click on the Products tab and click 'New Product'.
- Fill in as much information as you can about the new Product.
- Click Save.
After entering a new Product, you can then add multiple custom configurations to account for different sizes, colors, options and even custom questions you need your users to complete. Once a Product has custom configurations, your users will be able to select the configuration options you create on a Quote, Sale or Purchase Order. Let's review the different Product configurations options available.
Adding a custom Product Configuration
- Locate a Product you would like to configure and click 'Edit'.
- Click '+ Add Configuration Field'. Click this button after each configuration you create to add another.
- List of Options - Choose the 'Type' of configuration option. In this example let's select 'List of Options' and make it required on the Quote. This configuration will create a drop down field that your users will be required to select from before they can save the Quote. Let's name the configuration option 'Low-E?' and set the options to be 'Yes' or 'No'.
- + Add List Option - When creating a 'List of Options', click '+ Add List Option' to create the different values for the drop down. Because this configuration is a yes or no question, set the values to 'Yes' and 'No'. For each value, you can set a 'Price Modifier' to dynamically change the price of the product if the value is selected. Hit the 'Price Modifier' drop down and select to change the price by a percent of a static dollar amount.
- Note: you can add negative numbers as Price Modifiers when setting up Product Configurations.
- Text - choose the 'Type' of 'Text' to create a text box for your users to fill out for this Product.
- In the example above, we named the Text configuration 'Room?' allowing our users to type a description of the room the Window will be installed in. Notice we set the 'Required When?' field to 'Sale'. This will ensure that when a Sale is created, your user will be required to fill in what room the window will be installed in before saving.
- Number - choose the 'Type' of 'Number' to create a number field for your users to fill out for this Product.
- In the example above, we named the Number configuration 'Number of Rooms?' and set the minimum and maximum values to '1' and '50'. This will allow your users to pick a number from 1 to 50 to represent the number of rooms that will be involved when installing this Product.
- Pricing Method - the 'Pricing Method' drop down below the minimum and maximum value fields allows you to set pricing modifications for this configuration by 'unit' or 'range'.
- United Inches - choose the 'Type' of 'United Inches' to create a field for your users to fill out the height and width measurement for the Product.
- + Add Range - click '+ Add Range' to add multiple ranges with minimum and maximum height and width. You can add multiple ranges to a single configuration option to ensure the price gets driven by the range selected.
- The very same configurations can be done for any Product that require a Square Measurement. Choose the 'Type' of 'Square Measurement' and follow the steps outlined above.
Once all of the configurations options have been created for your Product click 'Save'.
NOTE: Each Configuration option you create is calculated off the Product Price field ($1000). For this example we'll use a Configuration based on a Range of United Inches, increasing the Price by a flat dollar amount ($500) based on the size, as well as a Configuration for Color which increases based on a percentage (10%), both calculations will be based on the Product Price.
($1000 + $500) + ($1000 x 0.1) = $1600
Most Window calculations should increase the entire United Inches amount by a percentage:
($1000 + $500) + ($1600 x 0.1) = $1650
Let's look at how this configuration would be calculated on a Quote:
When White is selected, the calculation is correct.
However, when Almond is selected (a percentage increase calculation), the amount is incorrect.
For this reason, improveit 360 recommends creating separate Products for any percentage increases where additional Configuration options are needed. Configuration options that increase by a Flat dollar amount can all be included within one Product. See additional flat rate increases in the example below: