Once a Product has been added with configuration options, you can choose to set 'Custom Rules' to change what configuration options are available if certain options are selected. This tool is perfect for requiring, including or excluding specific configuration options based on other configuration options. Let's take a detailed look:
- Click 'Edit' on a Product with configurations options already set:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click '+ Add Rule' button:
- The Custom Rules section allows you to create IF/THEN statements in an easy to use drag-and-drop builder:
The Custom Rules builder consists of two main sections:
- When this is true - this section acts as the IF part of the statement. Drag-and-drop the items to the left into this section to build your Rule.
- Operations - drag and drop any operator such as '+' or '-' into your Rule. You can use as many operators in your Rule as needed.
- Constant - type any number or text value you need to use in your Rule into this field. Once you type the number or text value it will become available to be dragged and dropped into your Rule.
- Price - this represents the 'Price' field at the top of the Product page. This field does NOT take any 'price modifiers' into account. It only will pull the dollar amount added into the 'Price' field.
- Configuration Fields - any configurations added to this Product will be available to add to the Custom Rule. Custom Rules work with both number and text fields.
Do this - this section acts as the THEN part of the statement. Drag-and-drop the items to the right of this section to tell the Rule what to do when the first section criteria is met.
Configuration Fields - any configurations added to this Product will be available to add to the Custom Rule. Each configuration field available to the right of the 'Do this' section allows you to select the following:
Value - this represents the output of the configuration field. If this configuration field is a 'list of options' the 'Value' will represent the options of the drop down. If this configuration field is a United Inches measurement the 'Value' will represent the total United Inches measurement.
Hide - this option will remove the configuration field from the list of available options. For example, if you drag-and-drop the 'Hide' option for the 'Warranty' configuration option into the 'Do this' section, the 'Warranty' option will disappear when the criteria is met in the 'When this is true' section.
Read Only - this option will make the configuration option viewable on the screen but not editable if the criteria is met in the 'When this is true' section.
Custom Rule Example
In this example, let's set the 'Warranty' configuration field to 'Yes' if the United Inches measurement is greater than 50.
- First let's drag-and-drop the 'UI Measurement' configuration field into the 'When this is true' section:
- Next, drag the greater than operator '>' and drop it into the 'When this is true' section after the UI Measurement configuration field:
- Type '50' into the 'Constant' field and drag-and-drop it into the 'When this is true' section at the end of the statement:
- Now that the 'When this is true' section of the Custom Rule reads 'If the UI Measurement is greater than 50', let's add the 'Then' statement to make the 'Warranty' configuration field default to 'Yes'.
- Drag-and-drop the 'Value' field below the 'Warranty' configuration field into the 'Do this' section:
- Click on the drop down next to the 'Warranty.value=' field and select 'Yes':
- Now the Custom Rule reads 'If the UI Measurement is greater than 50 Then make the Warranty equal Yes'. Click 'Save'.
- Now when selecting to configure this Product on a Quote. Notice the 'Warranty' defaults to 'Yes' when adding a UI Measurement greater than 50:
How do I remove a value of a Custom Rule?
- To remove a value from a Custom Rule, click and drag any value and drop it on the 'Remove' button.
How do I add multiple Custom Rules to a Product
- To add multiple Custom Rules to a single Product, click the '+ Add Rule' below the existing Custom Rule:
- An additional box will appear below the existing Custom Rule allowing you to create another Rule: